A two day international conference European Defence and Security: New Challenges, New Choices will be held 25 and 26 January 2010 at Chatham House, London.
As the international security and defence context continues to evolve, it is increasingly difficult for governments and industry to commit to new strategic postures and new technologies. This Chatham House’s Annual Security and Defence Conference will assess political constraints and military expectations in the evolving defence debate, and examine the opportunities arising for the commercial sector.
The conference will focus on the following topics:
What nature and level of security challenges are we facing?
Are we striking the right balance between current priorities and future potential threats?
Questions to be discussed include:
- What are the structures and organization required to strike the right balance within individual countries and trans-nationally?
- How can concepts and strategies be better aligned across the European Union and the larger Europe?
- To what extent can procurement objectives be coordinated within Europe and with the USA?
- Given current budget and resource constraints: what plans are there for burden sharing in delivering programmes?
- General Vicenzo Camporini, KGC, Chief of the Defence Staff, Italy
- General Jean-Louis Georgelin, Chief of the Defence Staff, France
- Lieutenant General Friedrich Wilhelm Ploeger, Commander, German Air Force Air Operations Command and
Combined Air Operations Centre 2, and Executive Director, Joint Air Power Competence Centre, Germany
- General Sir David Richards KCB CBE DSO ADC Gen, Chief of the General Staff, United Kingdom