Chatham House’s annual Security and Defence conference 2011 will discuss the future of R&T and R&D and the necessity of keeping pace with emerging markets and industries in the face of shrinking budgets. Questions to be discussed include:
- Can the EU do what is needed to meet its own security goals?
- What is Asia’s current security and defence related research capacity?
- What are the implications of the changing balance of military power and what does this mean for exports and for industry?
- Where R&T is concerned, what are industry’s expectations of government?
- What can industry do to turn innovation into application and, ultimately, into a fielded weapon system or equipment?
Speakers to date include:
- Erwin Bernhard
National Director, Research and Technology
Federal Department of Defence
- John Dowdy
Head, Global Defence and Security
McKinsey & Co
- Rear Admiral Archer M Macy Jr
Director, Joint Integrated Air and Missile Defense Organization
Deputy Director for Force Protection, J-8, The Joint Staff, USA
- Professor Mark Welland FRS FREng
Chief Scientific Adviser
Ministry of Defence, UK